Yes, there are myriad options from rugged all-in-one vehicle-mount units to a wide array of industrial tablet computers.
Yes, making the right selection for your environment and application will play a significant role in user-acceptance, deployment success, and ultimately the ROI management expects from a capital purchase of this size.
And while there is no one-size-fits-all “remedy” you can find the best solution for your operation if you know what questions to ask.
Glacier has deployed more than 30,000 rugged computers over the past 17 years in every sort of operating environment and we’ve compiled a list of the most common questions to ask before you invest in devices for your fleet of fork trucks, carts, or hostlers.
1. What operating system (OS) do you require on your forklift computer, Windows, Android, Linux?
2. Will the operator input data from the lift or will they need to get on and off to capture/scan product data?
3. Will barcode scanners be incorporated to allow the operator to collect data from the lift and if so what distance or range will be required?
4. Would you prefer a mounting option integrated as part of the computer housing or a separate tablet dock (passive or active) that allows for easy removal of the device?
5. Do you need device-mobility between multiple lifts using different voltages? (Would your solution benefit from an internal, integrated 12-48 VDC power supply and internal UPS?)
6. Will you need more protection from constant shock and vibration, drops, or both?
7. What size display is best suited to your application and does it need to be viewable in direct sunlight?
8. Would a locking USB connector reduce costly repairs to your computer ports and peripheral cables?
9. How long is this solution to remain in place: 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, longer?
10. Are you worried about pilferage of portable devices?
For the past 17 years, Glacier Computer has specialized in forklift computing solutions and offers numerous options that range from our fifth generation Kodiak vehicle-mount computer to 8 inch, 10 inch, and 12-inch rugged tablet computers.
With over 30,000 units installed, you will find a very experienced staff to guide you through the variety of product choices. We also offer accessories including keyboards, scanners, printers and mounting hardware to help complete the entire solution. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-882-1560 X 3207 to get more information or request a demo unit.